Summer Pool Safety
Everyone in the Pool? Safely, Please!
Here comes summer, and that means swimming pool season. Kids are breaking out the water noodles and beach balls. Adults dream of sunning on the poolside lounge or getting in a few laps. The Leigh Insurance Agency, your Freehold Trusted Choice® independent insurance agent wants you to enjoy lounging in the water, not waiting in the emergency room. Pool-related injuries send unfortunate thousands to the emergency room every year.
When you think pool, think safety. The usual parental commands – “Stop running!” and “Don’t push your sister in the water!” – are helpful, but not enough. Here are a few valuable tips for preventing accidents at residential pools:
- Never swim alone.
- Never leave a child unattended in the water or pool area.
- Always go feet first when using a water slide. In addition, water slides should always be installed in a deep area of the pool.
- Make sure there is adequate lifesaving equipment in the pool area, including life preservers and a rescue hook.
- Install an audible pool alarm to alert you if someone falls into the pool while it is unattended.
- Check local ordinances and codes for safety requirements, including specifications for ladder and hand rail placement and minimum depths for diving boards.
- All electrical equipment should be installed by a licensed electrician in accordance with local codes.
- Use non-slip materials on the pool deck, diving board and ladders.
- Check the deck for safety hazards, such as protruding nails and loose boards.
- Mark water depths conspicuously. Use a safety float line where the bottom slope deepens.
- Maintain secure fencing and a locked entrance around the pool and deck area to prevent access when adequate supervision is not available.
- Keep chemicals safely stored away from the pool area. Follow all storage and usage instructions recommended by the manufacturer.
- For above-ground pools, check metal supports for rust or deterioration. These may indicate areas where the pool could rupture or a person could be injured.
If you are a pool owner, this may also be the perfect time to schedule a comprehensive review of your homeowner’s coverages with The Leigh Insurance Agency, your Freehold Trusted Choice agent. Be certain your current liability protection is adequate to protect you from allegations of negligence from anyone claiming injury from being in or around your pool and pool-related activities.