The Leigh Agency, your Trusted Choice independent insurance agency wishes you all a safe and happy holiday weekend. The following road safety tips are brought to you courtesy of AAA Mid-Atlantic.
For Your Safety:
• Keep your doors locked, safety belts buckled and children safe and secure in properly installed safety seats.
• Don’t let your gas tank fall below 1/3 tank.
• Stay on main roads and highways, and don’t forget your AAA maps!
• Pack a flashlight, blanket and a first-aid kit. In cold climates, pack extra warm clothing.
• If you are going on a long trip, pack an emergency ration kit of water and nonperishable food items such as fruit or granola bars.
• When stopping for breaks, never let kids go to the restroom alone. Always lock vehicle doors, even if you’ll only be gone for a few minutes.
• Carry a cellular phone in case of emergencies.
• Do not stop to help a disabled vehicle. Instead, call for help from a pay phone or your cellular phone.
• If stopping during night-time travel, choose a well-lighted, populated facility. Park where your vehicle can be seen.
• If approached by someone while your vehicle is stopped, keep your doors locked and only roll your window down enough to hear what the person is saying.
If You Break Down:
• Move your vehicle off the road safely away from traffic.
• Stay inside your vehicle, and make all passengers stay inside, too. Keep doors locked.
• If you can’t move your vehicle off the road, ask all passengers to exit the vehicle when it is safe to do so, and stand away from traffic.
• If you must walk to a phone, keep your group together.
• Raise the vehicle’s hood, tie a white cloth to a door handle or use reflective triangles or flares. Warning devices should be placed far enough away from the vehicle to give oncoming traffic time to react. A good rule of thumb: 3 devices at 100, 50 and 25 yards from the vehicle – or 300, 200 or 100 feet.
• Only roll down the window enough to ask any passersby to call police.