When a Renter Should Call Their Landlord or Insurance Company

When you rent an apartment or a home, it is essential to purchase renter’s insurance. If something happens to the property itself, that is the landlord’s responsibility. However, if something happens to your personal belongings inside the building, your landlord is usually not liable. Here are some examples of when you should contact either your landlord or your insurance company.


Pipe Burst or Flooding

If a pipe bursts in your apartment or there is any sort of flooding, you should contact your landlord right away. Then, it is time to assess the damage and contact your insurance company. If any of your personal belongings like furniture, electronics, or valuables are damaged – they should be covered under your renter’s insurance policy.

Theft or Break-In

If there is a break-in at your home, call 911 right away. After that, your landlord should be contacted. After the authorities have made sure it is safe for you to return and you have made all the necessary reports to the police, contact your insurance company. They will want to know what items were stolen and will need copies of all related police reports.


You should always call 911 at the first sign of a fire in your home. After that, your landlord should be contacted next. If the fire department deems your property safe to re-enter, then you can assess the damages and contact your insurance company.


It is important to remember that rental insurance will not cover security deposits. If your landlord decides to keep a portion of or all your deposit for any damage incurred to his property, that is separate from your policy. It is also important to understand your policy and what is and is not covered. Be sure to ask your insurance agent if you have any questions!